OpenZFS is the truly open source successor to the ZFS project. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, and OS X platforms, and a wide range of companies that are building products on top of OpenZFS. OpenZFS is an outstanding storage platform that encompasses the functionality of traditional filesystems, volume managers, and more, with consistent reliability, functionality and performance across all distributions.[...]
The high-level goals of the OpenZFS project are:
- to raise awareness of the quality, utility, and availability of open source implementations of ZFS
- to encourage open communication about ongoing efforts to improve open source ZFS
- to ensure consistent reliability, functionality, and performance of all distributions of ZFS
The main technical goal of the project is easier sharing of code between platforms. Strategies include:
- creating a platform-independent mailing list for developers to review ZFS code and architecture changes from all platforms
- smoothing the illumos integration process
- making it easy to run both ztest and the ZFS test suite (TestRunner or STF based) on each platform
- reducing code differences between the platforms.
What a nice news. I'm using zfsonlinux for more then three years now and even when disks or brains where failing, zfs keeps my data save .